• Take your keys. One out of every five vehicles stolen
had the keys in it.
• Lock your car. Approximately half of all vehicles
stolen were left unlocked.
• Never hide a second set of keys in your car. Extra
keys can easily be found if a thief takes time to look.
• Park in well-lighted areas.
• Park in attended lots. Thieves do not like witnesses
and prefer unattended parking lots.
• If you park in an attended lot, leave only the ignition/door
key, not your entire set of keys.
• Never leave your car running, even if you'll only
be gone for a minute. Vehicles are commonly stolen at convenience
stores, gas stations, ATM's, etc. Many vehicles are also
stolen on cold mornings when the owner leaves the vehicle
running to warm up. Leaving your car unattended while runninng
is also a crime in Ohio.
• Completely close car windows when parking.
• Don't leave valuables in plain sight in your car.
• Don't leave your car keys in plain sight in your
• Be very careful to whom you loan your car.
• Don't keep the original title or registration in
your car. Make copies to keep in your car and keep the originals
in a safe place at home.
• Invest in a car disabling device (e.g. The Club).